Saturday, July 09, 2005

FATHER, FAMILY MAN AND HUSBAND

FATHER: Being a dad is so cool and I think I do a pretty good job at it. I love my kids more than you can know. I love teaching my kids about God and how to live for him. However, being a father doesn't always (for me anyway) mean just at home. I, you , can be a father to those kids without a father.

Why should programs be headed by the goverment? Why not the family of God? This reminds of a story....my own.

A long time ago, I lived in a dirt-poor, seedy section of a small little country town. I lived with my maternal grandmother, who was single and struggled to make ends meet. I remember how angry she used to be, constantly yelling at me and always saying mean things to me.

Yeah, I had a dad. He lived just around the corner from me and my grandmother. And even though we were so close, he had nothing to do with me. I finally met him when I was about 6 or 7. And for some reason, I loved him very much even though there was no established relationship there.

As I started growing up, my feelings of love for my dad began to dissappear. And I think that I pushed that pain so deep inside of me that I began to hurt other people just so I wouldn't feel. I began to run around with girls, cheat on them, fight with them (or whoever). I admit it. I was abusive.

All I ever wanted to do was spend time with my dad and do things like, go to football games, fishing, and play sports .
COULD THE LOVE OF A FATHER HAVED CHANGED ALL THIS?

I wonder what would have happened if my dad was around? I could have become president or better yet I could have learned the love of a father. This was my true need, the love of my dad.

Now, I see my past everyday in my neighborhood. My heart is to stop these kids from growing up thinking they are insignificant and teaching them the truth. This takes alot of LOVE.


1 CORINTHIANS 13:4-8a
LOVE SUFFERS LONG AND IS KIND; LOVE DOES NOT ENVY; LOVE DOES NOT PARADE ITSELF, IS NOT PUFFED UP; DOES NOT BEHAVE RUDELY, DOES NOT SEEK ITS OWN, IS NOT PROVOKED, THINKS NO EVIL; DOES NOT REJOICE IN INIQUITY, BUT REJOICES IN THE TRUTH; BEARS ALL THINGS, BELIEVES ALL THINGS, HOPES ALL THINGS, ENDURES ALL THINGS. LOVE NEVER FAILS.

7 comments:

oakoflife said...

cannobs that is my heart to be a father to the fatherless, a defender of widows.
I freely give what I receive. PEACE!

Greg said...

Right on. I am actually in the same boat... I am trying to ensure that my kids know that I love them both in words and in action. Maybe, my love can be just one of the many ways they can see the love the Lord has for them. Many times, how a child perceives the Lord is based on how they perceive their own father...

The love of a father can change it all... I am sure of it.

Great post.

oakoflife said...

I agree ben.

Anonymous said...

Hi Oak,

Got here thru Faith's blog.

You are a great writer! Keep it up.

I'm the father of six (all grown and gone, Thank God) and I think you are certainly on the right track with your attitude about your family.

I've bookmarked your page and I'll check in often. Glad you're on line.

Anonymous said...

I am going to stop reading you if you don't post more often!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hi,
I enjoyed your site.God Bless

Anonymous said...

Daddy always said he loved me, but his actions didn't speak it. He promised me the sun and the moon, but never delivered. Daddy married a woman with 5 kids. He treated them like his own, buying things for them. All the while me and my brother and sister did without even the basic necessities of life. So it made me think "God says He loves me, but His promises are for someone else." The love of a father is so important. If kids can't have it from the biological father in their life, thank God for men like you who will fill the void.