Wednesday, July 06, 2005

THINKING

HELLO BLOG WORLD,

I've been thinking about things to do. I love spending time with the kids in my neighborhood. I also love being with my kids. I really do like coaching. I love to see smiles on the kids faces when we are able to do things.

I was also thinking about how easy it is to get in trouble. Trouble is free and attractive to kids. In this neighborhood it is T.H.U.G. L.I.F.E. Yes, it used to be very attractive to me also. Women, fast money, violence and more women. Why does it seem so cool? No rules, do what you want when you want. Why is it cool to be hard. To be totally disconnected from your emotions. Not to show any signs of weakness. Fear drives you to be as bad as possible. No trust for anyone,therefore no respect for anyone.

In my younger days, after I found out the woman I had been calling mama since birth was my grandmother. My uncle taught me about women and my cousin, a distant relative, molested me. I had no guidance. I was truly little boy lost. The people I had some since of respect for, the people I looked up to, were teaching me how to sin. Now of course my grandmother did not know everything that was going on or did she. All of this by the age of 7 was being poured into my brain.
No one was there to teach me right from wrong except for God through Superbook which was a christian cartoon. I had all these bible stories in my head from Adam and Eve to Jesus, but what did it all mean to me at that time. It was hard for me to figure out on my own without someone to explain the true meaning. Now don't get me wrong my grandmother taught me the basics don't steal or lie. However, that was my life stealing and lying. I took those very basics and used them for evil as I grew older. This is a true saying, you are what you eat and I was being fed some pretty wild stuff, violence, constant violence, sex, drugs, and Eddie Murphy.

I can understand what the kids in my neighborhood go through. The challenge is getting them to understand that it is deadly. T.H.U.G L.I.F.E has a true meaning also and a cycle that I see being played out everyday. You know what thug life means, it is an acronym for: THE HATE U GIVE LITTLE INFANTS F#%#% EVERYONE. Now how many of them know what they are really attracted to and that it is deceiving them?

OUR PEOPLE ARE DESTROYED FOR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE.

How will they know if we don't teach them?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmm. yeah. my father never explained anything to me. Fortunately, I figured stuff out on my own. Still love the guy tho, RIP.

steve said...

The problem is the dang role models OUR society gives to kids... Thug Gangsters that glorify the game. AThletes who just glorify THEMSELVES... its sad. There is but one TRUE role model. We need to teach our children about Christ

Anonymous said...

How do you teach though if they don't want to hear? That is one thing I am so worried about when I have kids... that the other lifestyles will be so appealing to them that I won't be able to get through. Or do you think that being raised a certain way, with God in your life, will instill a set of values and a belief system that can withstand the temptations of society? It's kind of scary to me sometimes to think about.

I agree with Steve- our society provides role models that glorify crime, sexism, hate, anger, sin. They are the ones with the money & fame... who is teaching the kids that it is wrong? (Thankfully some parents, like you guys, are.)

You are a great husband and father... I only know you through the wonderful words your wife speaks about you, but your faith and love shine through her. She's pretty awesome too :) I'm a big fan.

Joe said...

To break the chain and then to use what you have learned to help kids avoid the same...that's where it's at. From a fellow Floridian, God bless. In His Name, Joe

oakoflife said...

Canobbs I try and be as transparent as possible. I learned not to be ashamed of my past but to use it to show people what God can do.

oakoflife said...

Steve, you are soooooooooooo on point. We see it everyday on MTV,BET etc.... That it is O.K. to be a pimp,sell dope or smoke it and THANK GOD for it. Deception runs deep. You think that you are blessed but you are really cursed.

Girl, that is something as a parent I deal with. However, I must do my part and teach my children the ways of God. As a child the only option I give my children is to obey my wife and I. Some people think this is mean, but it teaches my children to respect authority. Another example is that when I discipline my kids I make an event out of it by explaining what they did and why it is wrong. The other part is when we reward them we make an event out of it also.This helps them to fully understand BLESSING AND CURSES(READ DEUT. 28).

Joe, that's it man. freely receive, freely give.

Anonymous, what a cool name(lol),thanks for commenting.
I also had to figure things out for myself,and I thank God that my kids will not have to.